A blog of hopeful, inspired living: cooking & baking & growing & harvesting & preserving & gleaning & eating & sharing food... while bringing positive change to my kitchen and our food system.

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Quimet y Quimet Inspired Smoked Salmon Tapas


One of my favorite games (right after Catch Phrase and frisbee) is having someone describe in detail a meal or dish that they found absolutely phenomenal. Every little detail: taste, texture, smell, flavors, underlying flavors, spices... Then trying to reproduce it. Ok, so it's not the ultimate party game, but it can turn into a party -- trying new recipes is a great excuse to invite friends over!

When my sister wrote to me about her meals at Quimet y Quimet in Barcelona, Spain, I wanted to get on a plane and spend a week at a table there. She described this simple smoked salmon tapas dish to me, patiently going over the texture of the bread, the floral detail of the honey, the sharpness of the vinegar, the musk of the truffle oil. This article and this post both laud the restaurant, and even mention the salmon dish that my sister described to me in such detail. But my sister was adamant that neither article gets this dish quite right, and she was set on reproducing it for me. It looks simple, but it is absolutely divine. 

This dish can be the centerpiece of a meal (my sister served it to me with a nice salad, see below) or as hors d'oeuvres. A holiday party could be the perfect time to give these a try.

Quimet y Quimet Inspired Smoked Salmon Tapas
Ingredients
sliced baguette or nice slicing bread of your choice, lightly toasted (we also had it on un-toasted, slightly chewy bread and that was good, too)
creme fraiche, plain Greek yogurt or, if it's available, quark
thinly sliced lox
honey, a light-colored, floral kind
balsamic vinegar
truffle-infused olive oil

Directions:
1. You can prepare this a couple ways: in the photos you can see I had it once with the salmon on top of the creme fraiche/yogurt and once vice versa. I prefer the creme fraiche/yogurt on top, but it's up to you. Top with a drizzle each of the balsamic, honey and truffle-infused oil. Serve immediately.


My sister served this with a delicious arugula salad, tossed with fresh figs, goat cheese, cubed cantaloupe, and a light vinaigrette. For a winter meal, you could substitute pears and walnuts for the figs and melon.


 Enjoy in good company!



1 comment:

  1. i love Spain and I love truffle oil. Gorgeous!

    PS. what a fun little game you've made up! I'm gonna start asking people that same question!

    ReplyDelete